Fried Pickles and Homemade Ranch with Tim Hollingswo...Tastemade
- Video description
- 3 months ago
- 1,440 views
- 159 likes
- 13 comments
Follow Tim: @cheftimhollingsworth
Follow Free Play: @freeplaydtla
Follow Otium Restaurant: @otiumla
For the pickles:
1 celery stalk
3 cloves garlic
5 black peppercorns
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 sprigs dill
1 1/2 quarts water
2 quarts distilled white vinegar
1 quart buttermilk, for dredging
C.J. Boyd’s Fried Chicken Dry Mix or DIY dry mix
Oil, for frying
For the DIY dry mix:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoons herbs and spices
For the ranch:
1 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
1 teaspoon green onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Make the pickles: Soak cucumbers in ice water for at least 2 hours prior to pickling.
2. Peel and large dice carrot. Large dice celery stalks and cut garlic head in half. Combine with olive oil to prepare mirepoix, then sweat until translucent.
3. Combine and toast spices; make a sachet (using a sachet or cheesecloth and twine).
4. Combine sachet, garlic, water, vinegar, sugar and salt to mirepoix and bring to a boil to make pickling liquid.
5. Drain cucumbers, be sure to remove all ice, and add dill.
6. Pour pickling liquid over cucumbers. Cover and let cool to room temperature.
7. Refrigerate at least 1 week before using.
8. For the pickles: Cut pickles into crinkle cut chips and soak in buttermilk.
9. If making your own dry mix, combine flour, salt, black pepper, herbs and spices.
10. Dredge pickles in dry mix or CJ Boyd's Fried Chicken Dry Mix and rest until flour is hydrated.
11. Deep-fry in oil heated to 350 degrees.
12. For the ranch dressing: Mix all the ingredients together, serve with fried pickles and enjoy!
Subscribe to Tastemade: http://taste.md/1QsXIWq
LIKE us on Facebook: http://taste.md/1Zf0Bve
FOLLOW us on Instagram: http://taste.md/1OaAv4P
FIND us on Snapchat Discover: http://taste.md/1P9UuDM
- Related videos